This week our six year old niece came over for the day and I knew I’d need a few tricks up my sleeve to keep both a six year old and a two year old busy and happy. What could be better than baking and decorating rainbow cupcakes!?
Here’s how we did it:
1. Have your child slaves pop the cupcake liners into the a 12 cup muffin tin and preheat the oven.
2. Help them to whip up a packet mix of vanilla cupcakes.
3. Divide the cake batter into four bowls (or as many bowls as you have colours) and try to minimise the splatter as your the kiddos go to town with mixing.
4. Colour each bowl of batter using food colouring.
5. Drop a teaspoon of each batter into each cupcake liner.
6. Bung em in the oven, set the timer and get reading for some more colour mixing!
7. Make up your icing according to packet directions. I added a little extra butter and icing sugar for my over enthusiastic cake decorators.
8. Divide the icing into separate bowls and mix in the colours before spooning into individual zip lock bags and snipping off a corner reader for piping. Or you can just spread it straight onto the cake. Sprinkle with your favourite cupcake toppings.
The girls had so much fun with this and each step was easy and really hands on for them. I brought out the cake making when they were starting to get to logger-heads, the pulled out the decorating when they started up at each other again. It was a great way to break up the day, and give it a sweet finish.
Have you baked anything with your kids lately?