Pizza what now? Yes, pizza dip. I’m pretty sure I can blame Pinterest for dragging me into this cheesy pile of oh-yeah-baby. I saw it and I had to have it. It was love at first sight and then I was committed after one bite.
You could twist this recipe however you like. Think of your favourite pizza and do that. I have a thing for chilli right now, so a Mexican twist would rock my world. Jalapenos and dried chilli flakes, anyone?
Pebble helped to make this. And when I say help, I mean she stood up at the bench with me and asked about all the ingredients and what I was doing. She got to sprinkle some cheese and stir some dip. That’s all it takes to make her happy. From whoa to go it takes about 7 minutes to assemble. And about another 15 minutes in the oven to heat and grill to perfection. Perfect for kids to help with, because it doesn’t take too long, and I’m sure they’d love making their own version.
I first served this up at a little family gathering. My family are not known for their timid appetites and this dip was like a red flag to a raging and very hungry bull. Seriously it took five minutes to go from golden, melting perfection to…
I made the dip in advance, shoved it in the fridge and it transported very safely and easily to our family gathering an hour away. I used a fridge bag with a freezer block to keep it happy (are there proper names for such things? Fridge bag? Freezer block? You know what I mean?).
So, how do you make it? Read on…
(adapted from Closet Cooking)
Servings: depends on how hungry you are and what else you are serving! As a party dip with lots of other food on the table it can feed over 12 people easily. If you’re serving my family then it might only stretch to 6. Just sayin’.
- 500g cream cheese (that’s two Philly blocks)
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1.5 cups pizza cheese (a blend of mozzarella, parmesan and cheddar)
- 1 cup pizza sauce
- 1 cup pizza cheese, grated (extra)
- 100g pepperoni, sliced
- 1/2 green capsicum, diced
- 2 tablespoons black olives, sliced
- Mix the cream cheese, sour cream mayonnaise, and pizza cheese and spread it across the bottom of a pie plate (I used my quiche dish).
- Spread the pizza sauce on top and sprinkle on the cheese, pepperoni, green pepper and olives.
- Bake in a preheated 180 Celsius oven until the sides are bubbling and the cheese cheese has melted and turned golden brown on top (about 15 minutes).
This dip is heavenly served hot with fresh bread that is slightly warmed in the oven. A nice crusty baguette torn into chunks works well.
Oh, hey, you’ve got a little pizza dip on your chin. No need to thank me.
Do you have a wowser of a crowd pleaser that you pull out for parties? Do tell!