Imaginary play is still Pebble’s number one favourite thing to do. I think if someone were to calculate it at least 50% of her sentences begin with “Let’s pretend…” (in case you were wondering, the other 40% are “I’m hungry” and 10% “But I’m not tired”).
Here are some new fun ideas for pretend play with kids, featuring some ideas from the Kids Co-Op, including Honey Bee Books, Housing a Forest, House of Burke, Munchkin and Bean, Paint on the Ceiling and B-Inspired Mama.
- Read a book and act it out – perhaps make masks like these ones from The Very Cranky Bear.
- Use recycled materials to become anything that you want to be.
- Create a small world to explore – with animals, the beach or a rainforest.
- Pretend to be a wizard and make your own magic potions.
- Throw a garden party under the washing line.
- Set up a pretend post office and send letters around the world.
- Build a fairy house.
- Create an imaginary snow storm with shaving foam.
- Get lost in a cardboard city.
- Invite the fairies over for a swim in a
- Print these crowns for some royal play.
- If imaginary play is a struggle for you then check out these tips for embracing pretend play with your kids