You’ve seen our lovely big lawn quite a few times on this blog and my Instagram feed, but the reality is that our lawn is really the best play feature in the backyard. We have a few bikes and scooters and an old play gym, but I really want to add a few more toys and activities to our outdoor collection this Christmas. So I was super excited when one of my favourite online toy stores, Chalk.com.au, contacted me asking if I’d like to try some of their toys and share my experience with you all. Oh, and they wanted to giveaway some vouchers to you guys. Um, yes please!
I’ve used Chalk.com.au before to buy toys through fundraisers with Pebble’s child care centre, but that’s always been catalogue based. I didn’t realise that you can go straight to the website and buy there. I love, love, love searching on websites, using filters and categories and zeroing in on what I want. My brain finds it so much easier to process than a catalogue.
Chalk.com.au allows you to search by category, for example “construction” or “arts & craft”, or by brand. You can also use the search bar to type any word you like and find what your heart desires. My only problem is that they had so many cool products to choose from that I had a hard time making a decision! I can see myself buying all my Christmas presents from the comfort of my own home this year. Aaahhhhh, bliss.
Another cool little perk is that you can choose a child care centre, preschool or school to donate 20% of the total value of your order to. I’ve been using parent company, Modern Teaching Aids, as a teacher for years and have always loved their products in the classroom. The school incentives program gave me a chance to give some $$ back to my school to use to buy more educational resources. Win-win! Here’s my top ten toys for outdoor play with kids this summer.
10 Essentials for Fun in the Sun with Kids
- Space hopper – I always loved these as a kid! I never had one of my own, and loved any chance I got to hop on one.
- Bubbles – you gotta have bubbles! Chalk.com.au has the Extream Bubbles bubble blower, the My Bubble Lawn Mower (cute!) and a Bubble Rocket. They’re all on my wish list.
- Sprinkler – there are lots of cool sprinklers to choose from these days. We got one of these Wigglin’ Waterpillars and it’s hilarious! The first time we used it he kinda sprayed in one spot the whole time, but the second time his arms went crazy and he really was wigglin’! The kids thought it was a hoot.
- Water slide – we already had one of these dual racing slides so I didn’t pick one up but they are definitely a summer play essential, especially when have friends over for a play. I love that the racing slides at Chalk.com.au come with bodyboards, great idea.
- Blow up swimming pool – I very nearly bought this splish splash activity pool, it’s just so cute! We already have a blow up pool but it’s nowhere near as cool as this one. With the little slide and canopy, the palm tree. Adorable! The kids would love it. A kiddie pool is definitely a summer must have.
- Bat and ball set – a favourite from my childhood was totem tennis. I thought about grabbing one of those but I think Pebble and Rocky are still a bit little. This Lil Slugger T-Ball Set was the perfect choice and they can both use it really well. I was suprised at Pebble’s skills! Rocky is a great little fielder, he loves chasing balls, and he can have a hit too (when Pebble let’s him get in there!).
- Stilts – these are great for gross motor development and also just fun to watch kids get around on. Pebble had fun with them, but she kinda forgot to look where she was going and took a dive. She was a good sport and had a laugh about it. These are only $8.90 – bargain!
- Sports practice – There are lots of ways for kids to practice their sports skills and have fun outdoors. Try basketball, soccer or bowling.
- Sand and water table – these tables are worth their weight in gold. We’ve had ours since Pebble was one and it gets so much use, summer and winter. We’ve used it for sand, water, rice and gloop!
- Ride ons – we have a small space for riding wheeled toys around our yard and are also lucky to have a school nearby with paths and asphalt to ride on. Try scooters, tandems, skates or this cute plasmacar.