A layer of chocolate brownie.
Topped with a layer of chocolate mousse.
Topped with whipped cream.
Topped with shaved chocolate.
I give you the Triple Chocolate Brownie Mousse Cake. I can’t claim I made it. My little sister made it for her mum’s (my step-mum’s) 50th birthday lunch. It was OMG-can’t-talk-eating-STOP. IT.-this-is-so-good delicious. I just had to share it with you all.
Triple Chocolate Brownie Mousse Cake
(adapted from Taste.com)
- 200g block milk chocolate, chopped
- 90g butter, cut into cubes
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 cup plain flour
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder, sifted
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 100g white chocolate, broken into squares
- 200g block dark chocolate, chopped
- 2 tablespoons boiling water
- 2 teaspoons powdered gelatine
- 600ml thickened cream
- 1/3 cup caster sugar
- 3 egg yolks
- Whipped cream and grated chocolate to serve
- Place milk chocolate and 160g butter in a glass or ceramic heatproof bowl. Place over a saucepan of simmering water. Cook, stirring occasionally with a metal spoon, for 2 to 3 minutes or until melted and smooth. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Preheat oven to 160°C/140°C fan-forced. Grease a 6cm-deep, 23cm round (base) springform cake pan. Line base and side with baking paper.
- Combine brown sugar, flour and cocoa powder in a large bowl. Stir in egg and cooled melted chocolate mixture until combined. Fold in white chocolate. Spoon mixture into prepared pan. Level top. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out with crumbs clinging. Cool completely in pan.
- Place dark chocolate and remaining butter in a glass or ceramic heatproof bowl. Place over a saucepan of simmering water. Cook, stirring occasionally with a metal spoon, for 2 to 3 minutes or until melted and smooth. Cool slightly. Place boiling water in a small bowl. Sprinkle over gelatine. Whisk with a fork until gelatine has dissolved. Set aside to cool slightly (see note). Add gelatine mixture to chocolate mixture. Stir until well combined.
- Using an electric mixer, beat cream and sugar until soft peaks form. Add egg yolks. Beat to combine. Add chocolate mixture. Beat until just combined. Spoon mousse mixture over cold brownie. Smooth top. Cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate overnight or until set.
- Spread mousse with whipped cream. Top with grated chocolate.
Have you made any amazing cakes lately? Do tell!