Cake is something we do a lot of around here. Miss Daisy (3.5yo) shares my passion for baking and is becoming quite independent in the kitchen. She’ll confidently crack eggs, measure flour and pour milk without assistance. So we bake several times a week. Understandably, the more people we can dish it out to the better! Usually we’ll send almost all that we’ve made off to our neighbours and keep a small serve for ourselves… much better on the hips that way!
One of our latest favourites has been Strawberry and Apple Crumble Cake. The combination of the sweet fresh strawberries, tart apples and the crumbly topping is divine! And this cake can be whipped to perfection and taste just like a white chocolate mud cake… yes, that smooth.
Strawberry and Apple Crumble Cake
- Cream butter, sugar and vanilla in food processor or with electric beaters until creamy and pale. Lots!
- Add eggs one at a time and process ’til smooth.
- In a separate bowl combine flours. Fold in butter mixture and milk.
- Spoon batter into a greased/lined springform pan. Smooth the top.
- Arrange apple slices on top. Then strawberries. I like to push some strawberries into the batter so you’ll see them when the cake is cut! :)
- In a small bowl crumble the butter into flour with your hands until fine. Add brown sugar and stir well.
- Sprinkle the sugar mix evenly over cake.
- Bake in preheated 180’C oven for 1 hour or until a skewer comes our clean. Cool in pan then transfer to a wire rack or plate!
Here are some of our other favourite cake recipes that you will enjoy:
- The first is straight from my Gran’s hand written notes, a deliciously moist chocolate cake
- I used her yummy recipe to make this very popular Peppa Pig Birthday Cake for Miss Daisy’s 2nd birthday!
- This chocolate mug cake is always a winner on those nights when you feel like something sweet.
- These vanilla cupcakes are so good and a simple and versatile recipe
- And of course, this cake started it all – Miss Daisy’s first birthday cake which was the star of her rainbow party, the Rainbow Layer Cake – it looked AMAZING inside!