This potato salad was the first salad that I ever made as a grown up. I was about 20 years old and was asked to bring a salad to a friend’s BBQ. I looked up some recipes – probably in actual cook books, and not on Google – and found this little gem that I have continued to make ever since. It was a hit that night, and is still a big crowd pleaser. And it’s easy.
Best Ever Potato Salad
Serves 8 as a side (and hopefully a little leftover for your lunch tomorrow)
This recipe is not exact – I never measure, I just throw it all together. Add more or less to create your perfect flavours. You can’t go wrong!
You will need:
- approx six medium potatoes (I prefer red skinned potatoes when I can get them)
- approx 1 cup good quality whole egg mayonnaise
- approx 1/4 cup wholegrain mustard
- 6 middle bacon rashers, diced
- 2 spring onions, chopped
- Wash your potatoes and cut into bite sized pieces. I don’t peel the potatoes, I like the skin – but peel them if you prefer.
- Cook the potatoes in a large saucepan of boiling water until just tender when pierced with a fork. About ten minutes? I just keep cooking em until they’re done! It’s best to do them a little over rather than a little under.
- While your potatoes are boiling, fry off your chopped bacon in a hot frying pan until crispy.
- Allow the potatoes and bacon to cool a little before combining them in a big bowl with the mayonnaise and mustard. Season with salt and pepper. Save a little bacon to sprinkle on top (and have a nibble yourself), along with the spring onions.
There you have it – instant awesome to go with your snag in bread at any Aussie BBQ. Or you can fancy it up with prawn skewers, good steak or marinated chicken. Me? I love a good sausage.
What’s your favourite salad to take along to a BBQ?