This is Rocky. He is 19 months old now and he HATES having his nappy changed.
Mention the word ‘nappy’ and Rocky is likely to suddenly disappear in puff of (smelly) air. He will run at speed into the nearest room and close the door behind him. This really is a futile effort as all our doors have door-stops on them to protect little fingers. Sucker.
When I do manage to get Rocky in the right place at the right time he puts in his best effort to make it a drama. He uses several quite effective techniques to avoid having a clean butt, including:
- The Donkey – bending both legs in towards his belly he then kicks them both hard at my stomach. This one hurts.
- The Tour Down Under – you might remember this move from your ab routine at the gym. Holding his legs high in the air he pedals an imaginary bicycle in my face.
- The Roly-Poly - kind of like the stop-drop-and-roll technique taught to kids by firefighters, minus the fire.
- The Pretzel – rolling either the upper or lower half of the body separately, so that he twists like a salty New York snack.
- The “Butt You” – getting into a baby downward dog and sticking his butt in my face.
- The Upside Down Worm – the 80s, body-rippling break-dancing move that always comes out at weddings (or was that just my wedding?). THAT – but upside down. Quite entertaining, actually.
Making Nappy Change Time Easy
It’s no surprise, then, that I have a few tricks up my sleeve for
happy bearable nappy change times.
- Reciting a favourite story from memory. Our current favourite is “Moo, Baa, La-la-la” by Sandra Boynton. Lucky for me it doesn’t have too many words and is very easy to remember.
- TV. Especially during theme songs or when music is playing. Move fast, before the song ends! Or try the super cute and mesmerizing Baby Bud Soother song.
- Nursery rhymes. “This little piggy” is a big winner at the moment.
- Distraction – by his favourite person, his sister. Pebble has gotten very good at playing Peek-a-boo.
- BabyLove Nappy Pants for a speedy change. I love nappy pants because I can change Rocky while he’s standing up. It’s the laying down part that he really seems opposed to, so this works a treat. Here’s why you’ll loveBabyLove Nappy Pants:
- They have a super stretchy waist that is easy to pull up, with no fiddly tabs.
- They are as absorbent as regular nappies- holding up to five cups of liquid. That’s a whole lot of wee!
- The stretchy waist fits kiddos just right – no digging in and no leaks.
- Tearable side seams help make nappy change time quick and easy.
- 20 Questions – you know, the kinds of questions that mummies and daddies ask their kiddos repeatedly. ‘What does a cow say?’, ‘What does a duck say?’, ‘Where’s your nose?’, ‘Where’s your belly?’, ‘Where’s Mummy’s cocktail?’.
Win $250 worth of BabyLove Nappy Pants!
One lucky Octavia and Vicky reader will win $250 worth of BabyLove Nappy Pants and wipes!
To enter just answer the question in the widget below. Terms and conditions.